Have you ever received an invitation to an event with a smart casual dress code and had trouble deciding what to wear? This is a dilemma faced by many people. This article about smart casual attire for men will help you to choose appropriate clothes for the next smart casual event you are invited for.
This article explores,
1. What is Smart Casual?
– General descriptions, occasions
2. What is Smart Casual for Men?
– Features, Examples
– What should be worn for Smart Casual
– What should not be worn for Smart Casual
What is Smart Casual
It is often very difficult to guess what is meant by smart casual since there are different ideas and descriptions about this style. This dress code is used for different occasions with varying levels of formality. Smart casual is worn for work, romantic dates, casual outings, or even formal events such as weddings. The main aim of smart casual is to look smart, chic and neat; it should also not look too casual or too informal. This is done by combining different elements from different dress styles.
What is Smart Casual for Men
Smart casual look may be bit difficult to acquire since it requires looking informal without being too casual. The easiest way to do this is by combining different elements from various dressing styles. For example, you can wear a casual jean with a button down shirt, jumper or a blazer to get a classic smart casual look. But always wear jeans with darker colors such as black or navy blue. Also keep in mind that ripped, baggy or faded jeans are not appropriate for a smart casual style. You can also pair a more dressy chinos with a casual and patterned shirt. The combination of clothes depends on your personal taste and the type of evet you are attending.
If you are not sure what an occasion requires, it is always safer to go with a well-ironed collared shirt instead of a t-shirt and shoes rather than sneakers. However, t-shirts with solid colors (ex: white clean cut t-shirts) can also be dressed up by using chinos or slim-fit jumpers.
- Avoid clothes with bold patterns and rips.
- Avoid baggy, ripped or faded trousers.
- Make sure your clothes are slim-fit.
- Use small details such as jewelry or patterned socks.
- Don’t wear worn out shirts.
- You can use blazers and jumpers to make a casual outfit look smart and professional.
- Make sure your clothes are well-ironed, clean and neat.
- Keep in mind that it’s safer to be overdressed than underdressed.
- Make sure your outfit is balanced – ex. Dress up jeans with a blazer
What should be Worn
- Long sleeved shirts
- Tennis shirts or polo shirts
- Blazers or jackets
- Cardigans or jumpers
- Dark trousers
- Dark jeans
- Dark socks
- Closed shoes
What should be Avoided
- T-shirts with slogans and logos
- Denim jackets
- Faded or ripped jeans
“Smart Casual Dress Example” By David M Tran – Own work via